Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. We believe that it stimulates creativity, enthusiasm and the imagination. Our aim is to provide visual, tactile and sensory experiences which allow for self-expression whilst encouraging children to become more resourceful. We aim to prepare pupils to participate in tomorrow’s rapidly changing technologies.
- To provide opportunities for all the children to design and make quality products.
- To provide children with the opportunity to explore food and cooking techniques along with healthy eating and environmental issues within food production.
- To develop design and making skills, knowledge and understanding to the best of each child’s ability; using and selecting a range of tools, materials and components.
- To become creative problem solvers as individuals and members of a team.
- To be able to use computing in conjunction with the Designing and Making process.
- To develop an ability to criticise constructively and evaluate their own products and those of others.
- To help the children develop an understanding of the ways people in the past and present have used design to meet their needs. To reflect on and evaluate such techniques, its uses and effects.
- To prepare the children for living in a multi-cultural society by teaching consideration for other cultures which will be both important and beneficial.
Pupils are encouraged to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts. In all areas of Design and Technology the children are encouraged to consider the effectiveness of their designs and requirements of the product. We encourage children to be reflective and adapt their designs considering their own and others’ needs.